I concur with Dave: Delete and start over.  Its actually faster and cheaper than trying to figure out why they did things the way they did, and having callbacks where you discover more problems you didn't see the first time, etc.  I'll reuse as much of the stuff as I can, even cable, but that needs a full DC load center like an E Panel.

Also as Dave said, once you touch it, you own it.  If they can't afford to have you redo it, then you can't afford to take it under your wing.  Time and materials is the way I do these, because you never know what else you might find on day 3 of the rebuild.  I've gotten to the point now, that I won't even take these on, unless we are providing a majority of new equipment:  Adding to the array, replacing the batteries, new inverter, switching to 48v, etc.

Every compromise you get talked into now, you will regret later. I've come back 10 years after, and had my techs say: " Who did this$#@%!"  and I had to hang my head in shame and explain how we were trying to work with what was there, blah, blah.  I will repeat: once you touch it, you own it.  Your local reputation is represented in the work that you leave behind.

Ray Walters
Remote Solar
303 505-8760