Wind Wrenchers,
    I have been searching the internet extensively in search of a
replacement and improvement for the Bergey XL.1.  Now that they are no
longer available, I have stooped to looking at anything that spins, looks
like the blades may stay on, a company that has been around for awhile, has
at least 5 reviews, and has a decent power curve.  So far I have found
two.  The SuperWind 1kw made in Germany is a strong, well made unit,
designed for mountaintop communications sites. Power production is modest
but it has survived two winters atop a 2800' mountain in Vermont.  As the
site is solar and generator powered and load is a modest 350 watts 24/7, it
has done very well reducing the generator time and saving lots of propane
and ATV or snowmobile trips up the mountain with 100 lb cylinders.  We have
it on a 45'  4" diameter tilt up tower custom made from Bergey and NRG
tower parts. The only problem has been icing events where we have seen up
to 2 weeks with no wind power after an icing event.  The nacelle and nose
cone clearance is paper thin, where ice can collect.  The unit is all white
so maybe a dark color would have melted off sooner.  Price for just the
turbine, controller and dump load was around $7 or $8K.
  The other one I just ordered and hope it works.  It is a 1000 watt
TUMO-INT 3 blade furling tail 48v turbine with controller and dump load.
The power curve is slightly better than the XL.1  It was on sale on Amazon
for $999.00.  I should have it in 3 weeks and will report if it works.  It
is about the same weight as the Bergey XL.1.  I have an 85' NRG tilt up
tower on the ground waiting for a new turbine.  I had a PIKA 1.6kw for a
year and a half and it worked great but had to sell it to one of my
customers when PIKA stopped making them.  It is still running fine at my
customers place.
   What I really want is for the PIKA to be put back in production.  It was
a perfect off grid supplement with no issues that I could see.

John Blittersdorf

NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer™

CV Wind Service (and solar)

200 West Road