1/4" x 20 is no more the 10 ftlbs (120 inlbs) and a good 1/4" impact should
be able to get you over 30 ftlb. When you overtorq bolts and nuts you put
undue and irreversible stretching and or tearing of the material not to
mention warping or bending of the plates, and rails, loosening and
retorqing is a wait as if damage is done its done, the best solution is to
replace all the stressed hardware. I have seen unirac "T" bolts crack the
the rails with a bad result, so the question is how far do you want to dig
and risk to take. Regarding cracked glass, I have only seen this with
incorrect use of the clamps but over torqing will also crush the frames. I
have inspected arrays after high wind events that resulted in destruction
of the array and the manufacture in all cases used over torq as thier out
so warranty are only as good as the installers.
Jerry
NABCEP PV inspector