A few other ways to test, mainly for SS.

Cracks in components,
especially cracks that are orientated transverse to the load are a sign of
impending failure. Cracks can be found using visual inspection (using a 50
x magnifier), or by dye penetrant testing. X-ray testing, eddy current
testing, ultrasonic testing and other professional methods can also be
used.

Dave Angelini Offgrid Solar
"we go where powerlines
don't"
http://members.sti.net/offgridsolar/ [1]
e-mail offgridso...@sti.net
[2]
text 209 813 0060

On Tue, 7 Sep 2021 09:36:37 -0700, Jerry Shafer
wrote:  Wrenches Per request from Unirac I cut sections off and sent it
back to unirac and they say that modules that did not come loose we over
tightened, they do something like magaflux on iron, they could see
fractures in the rails, aluminum cracks when bent where steel is bending.
Jerry
  On Tue, Sep 7, 2021 at 4:30 AM Will White  wrote:  Jerry,
I'm curious, how did they prove over torquing? When doing inspections it's
easy to find connectors that are under torqued but I haven't heard of a
reliable way to check for over torque.   Thanks, Will
  On Mon, Sep 6,
2021 at 1:34 AM Jerry Shafer  wrote:  1/4" x 20 is no more the 10 ftlbs
(120 inlbs) and a good 1/4" impact should be able to get you over 30 ftlb.
When you overtorq bolts and nuts you put undue and irreversible stretching
and or tearing of the material not to mention warping or bending of the
plates, and rails, loosening and retorqing is a wait as if damage is done
its done, the best solution is to replace all the stressed hardware. I have
seen unirac "T" bolts crack the the rails with a bad result, so the
question is how far do you want to dig and risk to take. Regarding cracked
glass, I have only seen this with incorrect use of the clamps but over
torqing will also crush the frames. I have inspected arrays after high wind
events that resulted in destruction of the array and the manufacture in all
cases used over torq as thier out so warranty are only as good as the
installers. Jerry NABCEP PV inspector
  On Sun, Sep 5, 2021, 8:56 PM
Corey Shalanski  wrote:   August,   Thanks for your feedback.The racking
model is EcoFoot2+ [6] by Ecolibrium Solar (now part of Unirac). These
module clamps are also self-grounding with teeth to bite into the module
frame. I reached out to the manufacturer, who confirmed that the clamp
material is aluminum extrusion and the hardware is stainless steel.   The
modules were installed about 2 weeks ago, so not very much time has elapsed
to be able to observe potential resultant damage. We haven't seen any
problems so far.   -- Corey
  On Fri, Sep 3, 2021 at 6:35 AM August