Someone reached out to me who had a PV system installed two years ago by
another contractor on her shingle roof. Almost immediately it started
having loud popping noises intermittently, but pretty consistently day to
day. The homeowner thought it sounded like expansion and contraction. That
made sense, so the original contractor came back multiple times to tighten
things up. The problem never went away and lasted about 6 months until it
was driving her crazy and she had the panels only removed. The sounds
stopped. Legal proceedings ensued. Everything was dropped and she now has
rails up, panels in garage, and no clamps.

The panels have been in her garage for 18 months. I went to inspect today.
She has Quickmount LMount flashings, Ironridge XR100 rails and had UFOs.
The UFOs were tightened so much that they were tearing the t-bolts out of
the top channel of the rail. I don't know if that was from the original
installation or after they came back to try to resolve the issue. The UFOs
had also dug in pretty deeply to the top of the module frames. None of the
glass was broken.

I could not find much evidence of module frames slipping on the rails and
causing marks. The flashings and L-feet are all properly installed in
trusses at 48 or 24-in centers. The square bolts securing the L-feet to
rails are all tight and show no evidence of slippage. The attic looks
great. 5/8 ply over manufactured trusses (southern pine). It's a Gable roof
with about 20 feet eave to ridge. Again, everything looks great in the
attic.

There are two rows of panels. I thought maybe the two rows were rubbing on
each other. But I could not find any evidence on the short sides of the
modules that would suggest this was the problem.

Has anyone seen this issue before? I'm thinking about putting a few test
panels back up with standard mid clamps rather than UFOs just to see if
that changes anything.

Jason Szumlanski
Florida Solar Design Group