Like any manufacturing process there are variations, especially solar
cells, regardless of type ( poly vs mono).  It is getting harder to the
difference between poly and mono this days due to coating processes to
improve efficiency.

Cells can be sorted by output (watts) and or. Color matching.   Most module
manufacturers make sure the watts are matched otherwise a module will
underperform, so generally from an output point of view there are probably
little difference in wattage of each cell. Ie not measurable differences
noted for color variations.

That being said this is all based on flashing at room temps with no heating
of the cell.  The color variation and reflectivity of the cell surface will
impact the cell temperature in real life.  Is it enough to make a real
performance issue, probably not.

IMHO I have to wonder what other shortcuts a module manufacturer is taking
if their cells are not color matched.  It is not hard to color match and
power match cells and it usually does not cost more to do so.  The product
looks more professional and should operate in the field at peak
efficiency.  All the module manufacturers I work with sort by color and
power output.  I am guessing the lower quality guys are not holding their
suppliers to the same standard QC.  However I have no data to verify that
and like I said probably not a serious hit in performance.

Bill Hoffer