Hi all,

I currently have an off-grid client that has a 120/240VAC  7.5 HP -  40A
FLC single phase pool pump. Locked rotor current is around 110 A. I had
initially (and naively) thought that two Sol Ark 12k units would be able to
handle this load. Due to the lack of a transformer, the unit's just can't
output the required inductive startup inrush. Now getting clarification
from Sol Ark that max inductive HP output is 2.5 HP per unit. We had
installed an amply sized SR35 soft starter, with no avail. The 20 kW
generator can start the motor, but it is noticeably shaken with the
intense load drop.

I am toying with the idea of installing a VFD and upgrading the pool pump
to a three phase motor. Would make for a much smoother ramp and self start.
The client is a bit hesitant to upgrade and would like to continue using
their clunky, non-self starting single phase motor.

My other thought was to implement an autotransformer to add some copper to
the equation and help the Sol Ark's get the job done. Has anyone had any
experience with the Victron 100A autotransformer for both 120/240 input and
output?

Any suggestions or relative experience would be greatly appreciated!

-Kindly,

-Chris

--

*Chris Sparadeo *

*NABCEP Certified PV Installation Professional **® **# 042919-015652*

*NABCEP Certified PV System Inspector **®** # 052920-015652 *

*State of Vermont Journeyman Electrician # EJ-07619*