Hi Chris, In the past, I was able to start a 5 hp pump motor using a VFD. ,
I can not remember the make, of the VFD but I think it was an ABB 7.5 or 10
HP connected to a single-phase motor.  I started it on two Outback 3548s
(or maybe 3024s).  Now for the tricky part, I have done this several times
over the years so I keep confusing the systems.  you must power the VFD
before starting the motor to charge the capacitors as the VFD will also
have a loading surge.( one time on maybe 10 HP I did a homemade resistor)
The VFD has a large capacitance and will have a surge.  Most water pumps do
not have a high zero-speed torque requirement, meaning low inertia, so you
can use a slower ramp to speed.  watch your speed as the VFD can Overspeed
the motor increasing the load.  The advantage of the VFD is it can run at a
lower speed reducing the load on the inverter.  I also think an Auto
Transformer will balance the load between the inverters, but may not be
necessary.
Also be aware that starting surge is on the battery also,  If your motor
has aGH motor it can have a 4 to7 times the running loads on starting.  NEC
430,7 I think.  This can be well over 100 amps.  The inverter will sag in
voltage during startup but they may draw 400 or 500 amps from the battery.
If my memory is correct the 10 HP VFD has the possibility of adding an
extra capacitor which reduces AC starting draw.
Sorry, this was so long, it was more than 20 years ago for me.