From: RE-wrenches <re-wrenches-boun...@lists.re-wrenches.org> on behalf of
William Miller via RE-wrenches <re-wrenches@lists.re-wrenches.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 5, 2024 12:53:52 PM
To: RE-wrenches <re-wrenches@lists.re-wrenches.org>
Cc: William Miller <will...@millersolar.com>
Subject: Re: [RE-wrenches] Sol-Ark 15k solar panel frame grounding

Friends:

On a related subject, I was researching the question: What color should my
grounded PV conductor be?

History:

In the beginning, negative leads were always black.

When it became apparent that negative PV leads were indeed grounded, the
requirement to have them white or grey became enforced per 200.6(A)(3).

When transformerless inverters were implemented it was assumed the negative was
floating, so white/grey was no longer acceptable.

Then the NEC recognized that some leads were kind of grounded, not solidly, but
through some components, either OCPD, resistors, sensor or a combination.  A
new term was created,  functionally grounded.  This grounding was most often
done to implement ground fault detection and interruption, or GFDI.  I always
assumed that if PV equipment had GFDI it had to feature a grounded polarity,
most often indirectly, or functionally.

Grounded conductors need to be white or grey.  Therefore we are back to needing
grey/white, most often for the negative lead.

I wanted to verify if the Sol-Arc PV inputs established a grounded lead.  They
have GFDI so I assumed it likely they did.  In order to verify, I called
Sol-Arc.  Their tech support had no idea what I was talking about.  They did
not know the term functionally grounded and could not verify if their equipment
established a ground connection, solid or otherwise, to either polarity.

This distinction applies here because it may help determine what is causing the
GFDI fault.  I can’t tell you for sure if one side of the PV circuit is
functionally grounded, but if it is, grounding it elsewhere will defeat the
GFDI and may cause nuisance tripping.

Does anyone know if Sol-Arc PV inputs have a functional ground bond?

Side note:  I called my local Greentech distributor, who sells plenty of
Sol-Arc inverters and asked if they carried white PV wire.  They said none of
their customers are asking for white PV wire.  I suspect they should be using
white for negative leads.  I can’t confirm that because Sol-Arc can’t tell me
it the PV circuits are functionally grounded or not.  Frustrating!

Fortunately the manual for Outback charge controllers specifically says the
negative lead is functionally grounded.  So if you are installing Outback CCs
you must use white or grey.  PV-Cables sells white PV wire.

Confusing?  Yeah, a bit.  But as my local roofing companies say:  “Solar?  It
can’t be that complicated!”

William Miller

Miller Solar

17395 Oak Road, Atascadero, CA 93422