Wow these scams surface year after year.
First -vertical axis wind gens are only half as efficient as a horizontal axis
shaft wind gen due to the resistance of the half that is spinning against the
wind( drag). Therefore  vertical axis generator needs to be twice as efficient
or receive significantly higher the wind.
Second -the forces on vert axis lower bearings are ridiculous and will wear &
age very rapidly.
Third -the available wind at ground or even roof top level are gusty, unstable,
& varying in speed which make the regulator (if there are any) struggle to
engage the power on the without stalling the blades.
Forth. - Having installed many wind gens over my early years has taught me many
hard & fast rules
1: location, location, location just because you want a wind generator is your
location appropriate. The higher your generator is the more power you can
produce. Height matters big time.
2: Seasons - I get calls every spring for wind gens because spring is the
windiest season in most locals. When I enquire they admit that the 3 other
seasons are pretty still.
3 : Obstructions -  you need to be  a minimum of 25-30’ higher than any object
(trees, buildings, etc)that will influence the wind in dominant wind directions
or any direction. Also what will local zoning if any allow?
4 : Maintenance /  service life : Just like our bodies, vehicles, houses, tools
they will need servicing. This is a mechanical device who will service this
installation?
5: Sound - go visit an installation typical of your situation in a Good wind
speed. Listen & be critical, wind generator sounds are cyclic & continuous NOT
like leaves or grasses which tend to be random sounds.
6: DONOT MOUNT A WIND GENERATOR ON A HOUSE! I did this and in a good blow at 30
mph the harmonics generated ( with factory approved supplied vibration
isolation) make the house sound like  it is suffering a really painful orgasm.
DONT DO THIS!
7: Lightning protection : if it looks like a lightning rod guess what? It is a
lightning rod!

Please do not get me wrong ; I love wind generation but only in appropriate
locations, correctly installed & at appropriate heights, with safe methods to
lower for service, & where the sound will not cause issues with neighbor’s &
family.
Bad installations are only bad advertising.

Dana Orzel - d...@solarwork.com - 208.721.7003

On Jul 4, 2024, at 1:51 PM, Kirk Herander via RE-wrenches