On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 8:06 PM, David A. Wheeler <dwhee...@dwheeler.com> wrote:
>> I had to change the shebang in sweet-guile and modern-guile to
>> /usr/bin/env rather than /bin/env. Aside from that modern-guile worked great.
>
> Should we change all /bin/env to /usr/bin/env?  What platform are you using?
>
> All systems I use allow either. Article
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shebang_%28Unix%29 suggests /usr/bin/env, though
> it notes that nothing works absolutely EVERYWHERE.

I also have a local branch for the /usr/bin/env fix, which I don't
send because I thought that /bin/env was more portable.  So I guess
/usr/bin/env is more portable.

>> I couldn't get sweet-guile working, perhaps because eval needs 2 args
>> in sugar.scm....
>> Do I need to switch guile versions or something like that? (I'm using
>> guile-2.0)
>
> That sounds likely, I'm using guile 1.8.  Can you tell me a little more about
> your system?
>
> Obviously we want to track that down...!

It may be an issue with autocompilation, a new feature in 2.0... I
find that completely deleting the cache in ~/.cache/guile/ccache/
helped after I had a momentary "huh, why doesn't sweet-guile work?"
moment.

I suspect that this is just strictly a problem with 2.0.

In any case, the "correct" way to replace the reader in 1.8 and 2.0
and later is to use the current-reader fluid, but this isn't
compatible with 1.6, and for reasons of my own I want compatibility
with Guile 1.6 1.8 and 2.0.

So: in 1.6, the correct way to replace the reader is to hack into
primitive-load and set! reader.

In 1.8 and above, the correct way to replace the reader is to set the
current-reader fluid.

Sincerely,
AmkG