Kartik Agaram:
> A variant of this is now in wart:
> http://github.com/akkartik/wart/commit/c2e6d0c6d3. What do y'all
> think?

(This is 1914 - experiment: ':' as a comment token).

Interesting!  By the way, this is exactly how we've been working - we've
floated ideas on the mailing list, and if they seem promising, coded them up to
see how they work in practice.

So anyway, I'm looking at the example:

> (if !user
>       : (submit-login-warning url title showtext text)
>      (~and (or blank.url valid-url.url)
>            ~blank.title)

Note that this is somewhat different than our current proposal.  Which is just
fine - we need to come up with lots of ideas so we can pick the "best" ones,
sort of like doing mutations followed by survival of the fittest.

Under the current proposal, the SPLIT marker (\ or ! or whatever we use) as
leading-SPLIT is expected to work only inside indentation processing.  Since
"(" disables indentation processing, the current proposal would consider the
leading SPLIT as its normal symbol meaning (so you wouldn't need to escape it
in many cases).

We could have leading-SPLIT always be a comment marker, even when indentation
is disabled.  But I think there's no need; once indentation processing is
disabled, you can indent however you please, and there's no need for a special
symbol.

And I think having indentation be *significant* inside (...) causes lots of
trouble, including massive backwards incompatibilities.

So if you like ":" as you've defined it - great!  I expect that most Lisp-like
languages will add stuff that their developers find useful.  But I think an
"ignore me" symbol at the beginning of the line should only happen during
indentation processing, outside any (...).

Keep the ideas coming, though, I'd appreciate it!

--- David A. Wheeler