On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 10:56:41 +0100, "Jörg F. Wittenberger"
 <joerg.wittenber...@softeyes.net> wrote:

> So far I did not understand why does this have to be port-specific in
> the first place.  Maybe that would be the killer argument.

It's by analogy to other read settings, such as fold-case, so it's spec'ed that
way.

> Maybe not: at least in my case, I'd be *happy* to have a way to
> compile-time the feature away eventually, since I know these settings
> will not change.

The current implementation is close to that.  Currently settings like these
are global to the implementation.  In practice, most people don't futz with
these settings (except at program begin), so it's worked fine.

--- David A. Wheeler