Mark Malewski kirjoitti:
> but realistically... about how long do you think before 0.1 is
> released?  Are you estimating about maybe July?  August?  Early fall?

I don't know if it's my place to announce this really, as am not one
doing communications nor don't know if it's been officially set, but
we've been talking of targeting 0.1 to late June.

I'm taking the freedom to mention this in public 'cause am thinking that
getting a stablish 0.1 release then would mean getting to alpha in late
May or so, and beta in early June, so alpha is kind of within sight already.

> In your personal opinion, are we ahead of schedule, behind schedule,
> and do we need more developers?  What are your thoughts?

I think it's basically progressing ok. Featurewise I think we'll pretty
much make it.

One thing I'd like to point out is that the /ways/ that these features
are made now, and how they will probably make it to 0.1, are not all in
the final intended way. So please understand that some are there in a
work-in-progress / to be improved manner. Some parts AFAIK are pretty
solid, like the network packet handling / the sludp implementation, but
for example the internal event systems is at least now pretty primitive
still. Not to mention the Python module, which is now worked on to allow
making components to the client in py too (we're experimenting with
doing IM like that using py written stuff for telepathy etc) - current
version is a terrible hack, and don't know yet how sensibly it will make
it to 0.1 (it's also related to the event system, which may become a
central way to tie those components too).

That may also be an area where people could help, e.g. making
experiements with possible enchancements to how things are in the
framework, if there are some experts who could really dig into it.

An easier way to participate I think would be for anyone to start
looking into implementing their own modules, if you/they have some own
needs that are not on our roadmap.

Another thing is compiling on different platforms - no one has done it
on macosx yet (our small company Playsign is the only Realxtend partner
where we use macs too, but are pretty busy with other things so don't
when would have time for that .. latest in June I guess if no one else
has done it before, but there would be many other ways to use that time
on actually developing the viewer too).

One thing to note about RexNG is that we are somewhat targetting small
devices too, but AFAIK no one here has actually tried running it on a
mobile phone or pocketpc or something like that yet. So if someone else
is interested in / working on such things (small Linux devices? iPhone?
Android? Symbian? .. OLPC?) it might be interesting trying to build for
and run on those already now. I didn't check earlier, but googled a bit
now and it seems that a patch to add a OpenGL ES renderer to Ogre was
made and accepted last autumn, so perhaps that could work out? *OpenGL
ES render system implementation
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=302997&aid=2053570&group_id=2997*

.. a recent forum thread about that is at
http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=47788 .. with talk
about Android and Pandora etc.

> Will ReX-NG have Skype support?  Will ReX-NG support spatial sound?

It strives at being a component system for which anyone can make addons.
But we'll make defaults for such basic functionalities of course. For
communications we'll be in the xmpp and, and we'll use the Telepathy
libs for that. I don't know if they have Skype support too, but if not,
it should be possible (at some point at least) to plug in another comms
implementation. I think spatial sound is in the roadmap for a bit later
too (i don't remember if it was bumped to 0.2 or something in the 0.1
planning).

>                             Mark

sorry for the bit fuzzy post, should be going to sleep now, but
hopefully got some good info cross -- thanks for asking :)
~Toni