Mark Malewski kirjoitti:
> One last question, is there any possible way to design the ReX-NG
> Viewer to make the viewer "skinnable" so that it can resemble the
> current SL Viewer and have the same look/appearance same menu
> structure, and the same "look & feel" as the current SL Viewer?

With open source software, anything is possible. Just can be a lot of
work for you :)

The UI will be skinnable, using some existing UI toolkit. We are
currently using GTK, at least to get the debug windows and test controls
up. With GTK you can make a .glade file (xml) that defines the layout of
the GUI. For more about the plans see
http://wiki.realxtend.org/index.php/NG_Design_Document/Viewer_Architecture/User_Interface

Ryan has been diving into Chromium/Webkit land now, after we tested
Awesomium (a Chromium wrapper for the Navi library that is for enabling
use of HTML or Flash to make UIs to Ogre apps), with the idea that we'd
use Chromium as the UI library. Some days ago he got it rendering to
something that could be displayed with GTK now iirc.

So if you can make a web page that looks and works like the current SL
viewer, you should be able to use it as the UI in RexNG, if I've
understood that plan correctly and we'll indeed get the UI that way.
Embedding Chromium/webkit will be used for html textures too (like gecko
in the old/current viewer), but that's kind of a secondary use case that
comes along :) .. in Awesomium you can also use the in-world web pages
interactively, I guess we'll do that too at some point (perhaps by
including Awesomium or copy-pasting the code from there to how the
integration is in RexNG).

That said, replicating SLviewer is not the reason for doing RexNG. It
may be that the default UI we make for it won't look like current
slviewer at all, but perhaps more like iPhone or some research things
that use UI libs with animation support etc (we tested at Clutter in the
research phase). For some UI concept drawings featuring different
designs of 'catalogues', more visual than the slviewer inventory, see
http://wiki.realxtend.org/index.php/NG_Design_Document/Avatar . Also we
are not targetting the full featureset of SL. For example our company's
use cases don't need almost any SL features, but need some things that
SLviewer (and the protocol) doesn't currently support (e.g. making own
game specific things etc).

As for the 0.1 release, I don't know if it'll have anything from the
actual UI yet. At least there'll be the GTK widgets for logging in etc.
that are there already for you to use :) .. but I'm guessing at least
some nice start screen, perhaps made in HTML + CSS.

BTW regarding Chromium it may be a good idea to make the client side
scripting API, that I'm working on too (besides allowing py components
to the viewer), for untrusted code that comes over the network to use
Javascript and the V8 engine used in Google Chrome too. But haven't
looked into that yet at all, am testing with py first 'cause that we
already have in place for trusted code.

>                 Mark

~Toni