Toni,
With the "MegaRegions" support it allows regions that are 8,192m x 8,192m
(instead of 256m x 256m), which would be great for vehicles and boats.

The new "MegaRegions" is the equivalent of up to 1,024 of the old size
regions!

So I think that is a VERY decent size, and that would solve the "handshake"
problem between the old small 256m x 256m regions.

The new larger MegaRegions would eliminate the current border crossings
problem.

MegaRegions seems to be in the OpenSim Trunk right now.  A 1,024 region
system (8,192m x 8,192m) would only require about 5GB of memory to host.
 You can make regions any size (it's only dependent upon the amount of ram
the server has).

So I think this is a great idea, and I can't imagine anyone wanting to host
more than 1,024 regions on a single server.  I have dual quad-core XEON's
(8-cores) and 32GB of ram, and I think this would be great for hosting a
single 1,024 region RealXtend demo region!

Is there any possibility we can get this new MegaRegions feature implemented
and to work properly with RealXtend?

Also, what are your thoughts of replacing the realXtend Physics subsystem
with PAL?

Using PAL (Physics Abstraction Layer), it is an OpenSource wrapper for
several physics engines (allowing for seamless integration of Bullet,
JigLib, Newton, ODE, nVidia PhysX, Tokamak, and TrueAxis).  PAL also has
experimental support for Box2D, Havok, IBDS, OpenTissue and Simple Physics
Engine.

But if we implemented PAL into RealXtend, at least we could have seamless
integration of multiple Physics engines (including PhysX), and with PhysX we
could have hardware accelerated Physics, and if you have a server with a
GeForce 8000 series card or higher then the graphics card would perform all
the Physics calculations, thus taking the load off of the CPU (greatly
reducing the lag).

If we get into a sim with racing or boating, we definitely want
hardware-accelerated physics, or at least something better than what ODE can
handle.  The use of the Physics Abstraction Layer would definitely open up
new possibilities and streamline the physics code (allowing various physics
engines to be used).

PhysX and Havok are free for personal use.  What are your thoughts on
implementing PAL into RealXtend/ModRex, and implementing the OpenSim
MegaRegion support into RealXtend/ModRex?

I believe these are the only three major hurdles that we have left (the
Naali Viewer, MegaRegion support, and PAL support).

What are your thoughts on this?

                  Mark