On pe, 2010-10-08 at 08:37 +0200, Peter Steinlechner wrote:
> support. A 1x1km region would be comparable with 16 regular regions
> now, without border crossing effect. How was the memory/cpu usage? I
> hope this feature will be available in the near future.

Region (an) # show stats
MEMORY STATISTICS
Allocated to OpenSim : 59 MB

On mono in 64bit linux, running that 1km*1km region in standalone.

Normally in 3d systems empty space doesn't take any memory, the size of
the scene itself doesn't matter. Because the data is essentially points.
Example:

small region with two objects:
a = object(pos=10, 10, 1)
b = object(pos=15, 10, 1)

huge region with two objects:
a = object(pos=100000, 10, 1)
b = object(pos=200000, 10, 1)

so those two datasets take the same amount of memory.

the problem i got with the 10km*10km attempt was something related to
terrain or map tile making, perhaps it made a map tile that big writing
that to sqlite was too much for my laptop .. hopefully can disable that
somehow to get that bigger test done too :)

what matters is what you have in the scene: how many objects, how are
you processing those (i have ODE disabled 'cause it crashed, perhaps has
some 256m assumption in opensim-ode still), and if you have a terrain
how do you deal with that etc.

i'm quite confident we can make e.g. big quite complex city scenes like
this, when just make it with suitable sized meshes (like an object for a
whole block or something, if it is e.g. a city racing game or planning
vis). that way the object count won't be huge and opensim should be
happy.

sharing load for different computers and processes etc. is certainly
still necessary at least when you have a lot of interactions (especially
people) running around in your big scenes, there the linden multiregion
system is one solution, but also many kinds of other solutions are there
(like just distributing the physics calcs on a server cluster but still
having a unified scene communicated to client to make the protocol
simpler. the guys at intel research are afaik looking into this sort of
stuff related to opensim).

> Pedro

~Toni