Mikko Pallari kirjoitti:

    should also Entity-Component storage work? Naali has working terrain
    entities now, Jukka put an example to w.r.o:9000 earlier (i think

The work on the new EC table and sync messages have been made in taiga-0.1 branch. I haven't yet merged those to master branch that follows OpenSim master, because the work on ecsync is not yet finished.

Also the old RexFreeData per-entity xml sync is fine for that. That's what is used on w.r.o:9000, right? It isn't much data, just the terrain size or so and a ref to the file with the terrain data (heightmap).

I'm not sure how you would use terrain EC's with OpenSim, because AFAIK there are is no entity in scene for the terrain; terrain doesn't have UUID. But of course you could use meshes as terrain. Or maybe make a workaround where the terrain EC would be added to some object

It is not a workaround, it is the normal way with rex now I think that any entity can have a terrain component and it is (a part of) the terrain then :) So just an object somewhere with the terrain EC works as a terrain on the client side for that area.

in scene. Then again you would need to make some server side modifications to make collision for those ECs.

Yep, but we can test first without colls how the rendering works etc. Can of course test it against Tundra too, but I think it is interesting that this works with Opensim too.

Mikko

~Toni

    using that terrain EC you can fill a big region with suitably sized
    blocks of terrain. not having one huge terrain for the whole thing
    should make the rendering work ok, 'cause ogre knows to not draw the
    ones that are far or not in the view direction (has decent camera
    frustum culling).

    also without terrain a big region could be built just by using meshes
    for the land (if you need land, and are not making planets or space
    stations or blood cells :) .. but terrains are of course good too (big
    regions are easily interesting for geographic data and there it is
    nice
    to use existing heightmaps, and of course they are easily useful in
    general too).

    opensim physics is perhaps the only problematic point with this
    now? but
    for e.g. arch or geo vis it's not always needed. if ode is made to not
    crash, modrex rexode mesh support probably can work for the whole
    region
    too .. so can put a 1km*1km invisible low res collision mesh there for
    the terrain perhaps.

    ~Toni