On Tue, 2011-05-03 at 09:41 -0400, Matthew Fulmer wrote:
> On Tue, May 03, 2011 at 12:12:10PM +0300, Toni Alatalo wrote:
> > I'm curious about most simple ways of building, simpler than
> > prims -- for example there was some nice rapid design tool
> > made with browsers + canvas2d & webgl, where you could just
> > draw e.g. walls in 2d (vector) drawing app style, but that was
> > actually the way to create 3d geometry. Something like might
> Google Sketchup?

No, that is not browser based, and AFAIK doesn't allow simple drawing ..
but is a more traditional polygon modeller. Albeit probably the most
simple to use.

I happened to come across one I saw earlier now again, when was going
thru Chrome app catalog: http://www.3dtin.com/ (is the app directly, you
can just paint in 3d there .. volumetric minecraft style, but in a paint
app, not in first person build mode like in minecraft). Supports saving
to .obj so can be used to author rex scenes as is -- integration might
be fun.

The chrome web store page has basic info,
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/algoakekcdmbbikdjgjdahbfihboglmi?hl=en-US#

---copy---

3DTin is a 3D Modeler that runs in your browser.

You can ..
* design models by placing cubes of different colors on top of each
other.
* save your artwork in cloud. Login with your gmail ID.
* make realistic models by applying "Smoothing" tool on your Voxel art
* export models in standard 3D file formats (OBJ, STL) and use them for
3D printing or import in other CAD tools.
* run some preliminary checks to prepare your model for 3D printing
(Manifold violations)

3DTin can use WebGL for faster rendering if available, otherwise it
falls back to HTML5 Canvas.

---end---

> Matthew Fulmer (a.k.a. Tapple)

~Toni