I think this is a reasonably understandable feeling when you jump from
opensim etc. to Tundra. Let me try to clarify a bit for you, hopefully I
can help.

Yes Tundra is both server and a client at the same time. Tundras modular
architecture is designed so that both client and servers can load same
plugins and utilize the same code. Depending on what the plugin does it
might detect from your start parameters if you are running as server or
client. When you run Tundra executable with --server you are running a
server, thats all you need to do.

The confusing part for you seems to be the "client user interface". Now you
need to realize that Tundra (the SDK, the engine, how you like to think if
it) part in itself does not really make any assumptions what the client
user interface will look like. In fact if you start the Tundra executable
you are then looking at a fully black screen with the default plugins.xml
loaded modules, its the bare bone client :) Your mac installed Tundra has
shortcuts to run tundra with "Tundra --config viewer-browser.xml" which
enables the browser UI.

The browser UI is only really handy for when you login to certain worlds.
You can login to Tundra worlds at http://login.realxtend.org/, once you
have installed tundra (like you have), just write a username and hit on one
of the avatars. When the client launches you should see the benefits on the
"browser UI" as it is a placeholder for inworld application icons. They
will appear in the top right of the browser UI.

Anyways lets not get sidetracked. If you are familiar with opensim you
probably are looking to host your own world. While we continue to make the
docs better, help like this is pretty hard to find still. There are
something in the doxygen but surely not in very fine detail. Lets
continue... Find your install directory (I have no idea what this is in
mac, hopefully you can find it :)

Anyways find the Tundra executable and with that you can run the examples.
Tundra --help will tell you all the available commands. *Tundra --server
--headless --file scenes/Avatar/scene.txml *will run the Avatar example
server. Then you need a client to connect into it, now you can use your
shortcut to open the "browser ui client" or run *Tundra --config viewer.xml
*or to auto connect from command line *Tundra --config viewer.xml --login
tundra://localhost:2345/username=luthien*
*
*
You can also make your own startup configs. Just read a bit whats going on
in the plugins.xml (default if --config is not defined), viewer.xml and
viewer-browser.xml. The startup config can define: c++ plugins, startup
javascript apps, local python plugins and also additional command line
parameters (so you dont have to type them each time). In fact the main
difference between viewer.xml and viewer-browser.xml is the different login
user interface loading. All the client user interfaces are implemented in
javascript (see <installdir>/jsmodules), this is why when you start Tundra
executable as is (uses default plugins.xml) it is black because there is no
javascript UI startup.

You can find the shipped scene examples in <installdir>/scenes. Go into the
subfolders, they should have a readme file that tells you how to run the
example. Some examples require a server and a client, some only a "client"
Tundra. You can always try and find out. Tundra --file
scenes/<scene>/scene.txml. Mac might (it should!) also assosiate txml files
to open with Tundra, so double clicking the txml will open the scene for
you.

Let us know if you have more question! Welcome to the Tundra era of virtual
worlds :D hehe

Best regards,
Jonne Nauha
Adminotech developer