Robert:

> Thing like this shouldn't be written by hand:
<snip>

>  Instead I'm thinking about a dialect to specify such a section.
<snip>
>  Did anybody started something like this already? What do you think?

I think it's a great idea.

I did something like it for a particular application -- the code isn't very
packagable. Here's a cut-down example of an actual definition -- it shows
some of the "real-word" fiddly bits that you may need to think about:

Data-defintion5:  [
    "RecID"        ["Record id" 15
                    "Return"  Info  "Yellow" ]

    "Title"         [""
                     50   "Return"  Field "Pink bold"]

    "_Line"        []

    "Web?"          [""
                     10     "Return"        choice  {"Public" "Private"}]

    "Frequency"     ["_NoLabel"
                     13     "Tab"   choice "data read/lines %Frequency.dat"]

 ]

RecId
-- internal label (on files) is Recid. Field label on screen is "Record id"
-- limited to 15 characters
-- "Return" -- is vid specs before the *label* field -- so this one starts on
a new line
-- Info -- Vid field type -- non data entry on this panel
-- "Yellow" Vid specs for the field itself

Title
-- "" -- means field label on screen is also "Title"

_Line
--special field meaning a horizontal rule across the panel (to make it look
nice)

Frequency
-- "_Nolabel" means do not display a label field
-- tab  -- it's on the same line as Web?
-- It's a Choice field with values coming from a file.

It's not the greatest dialect in the world, but it got the job done.

Hope this helps you come up with something better

Sunanda.