> What I did find out though in the docs for Apache 1.3 (which I'm using) is
> that the output from CGI is unbuffered anyway.

Correction. :^(

A quote:

Apache for Windows version 1.3 series is implemented in synchronous calls.
This poses an enormous problem for CGI authors, who won't see unbuffered
results sent immediately to the browser. This is not the behavior described
for CGI in Apache, but it is a side-effect of the Windows port. Apache 2.0
is making progress to implement the expected asynchronous behavior, and we
hope to discover that the NT/2000 implementation allows CGI's to behave as
documented.

Regards,
Brett.