Saturday, September 21, 2002, 8:11:32 PM, Tim Johnson wrote :
> * Jason Cunliffe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [020921 09:57]:
>> > It has occured to me that if rebol has no reserved words, than one
>> > could alias all rebol words in french, am I right here?
>> > What a way for the linguistically challenged like me to learn french -
>> > program in rebol!
>>
>> That's a pretty bizarre proposal ... can you make up an example?

>   Hi Jason... Of course not... I can't speak French :-)
>   But seriously folks, I'm in Alaska, and I'm looking for
>   someone who can write Yupik or Innuit to investigate
>   this idea. (We teach rebol as intro to programming here)

>   My proposal to learn another (speaking) language by
>   aliasing rebol words in that language was "tongue in cheek",
>   but I am interested in the aliasing part...
>   -tj-

After reading this mail I did a few tests with the 'alias word to see if such
thing was feasible, but I went too fast and tried this :

>> alias 'first premier   ; premier is french for first
** Script Error: premier has no value

the error is logical since "help alias" reveals that alias expects a string as
its second argument.
So I retried (in the same console) :

>> alias 'first "premier"
** Script Error: Alias word is already in use: premier
>> premier [1 2 3]
** Script Error: premier has no value
** Near: premier [1 2 3]

Isn't it a bug from 'alias ? It seems that premier was only partially registered as a
word by alias which renders correct further aliasing of that same word impossible.

But to answer back to Tim, it seems like it's possible to have an entirely
french rebol by simply aliasing all rebol words with their french equivalent.
Note that it must not be done carefully (ie can't be automated using an
english/french dictionnary) since quite a number of them are the same in english
and french (type?, change, date, difference, exp, unique?, zero, ...) and
others do not have strict equivalent in french (struct for instance).

I find it nice that 'alias allows Rebol to be completely translatable but it
might become quite a problem if this becomes widely used : everyone will need a
copy of the alias definitions along with a non-native rebol script to be able to
execute it.
Add to this that it will be very difficult to understand what the script does if
you don't know the language :)

But another rebol script might do instant language conversion easily so this is
not really a problem I guess.

Regards,
Laurent