On 04-Jan-04, Defiant Mail wrote:

> Here is an example:
> http://www.webhostingtalk.com

> There are over 53,000 members I have never seen less than 200
> members on at one time and the most members online at the same time
> was 18,517 I have never noticed any lag time due to bandwidth and I
> have been a member since 2002.

> The great thing about forums is the ability to make advanced
> searches and section the sub forums into catogories. A rebol forum
> could have subs such as newbee section, liscensing and distribution,
> code help, view, core, etc... Another great thing about having a
> forum is that you can make common questions sticky so vets aren't
> answereing the same newb questions time and time again.

But that'd take the fun out of answering the questions in a different
way each time. ;)

> As for the ability to emulate a Ml. On forums such as the one above
> in your personal settings you can select any threads or forums you
> would like to subscribe to and you will recieve notice via e-mail
> whenever there are new posts.

> Anyhoot as I am new to Rebol I certainly find It difficult to find
> detailed information without spending lots of time looking through
> loads of archived mail, but then again you know what they say about
> opinions.

We accept them by the dozen here. ;)

For searching older emails there's Escribe...

http://www.escribe.com/internet/rebol/index.html

and Graham Chiu's...

http://www.compkarori.co.nz/x.php?/rebolml

for newer messages.

I think the popularity of the mailing list is just how things panned
out with REBOL.  There have been REBOL forums such as the one at
Rebol Forces (written in REBOL)...

http://www.rebolforces.com/

but that's not publicly accessable now, it seems, so whether in use or
not I don't know.  But I don't think it ever had the kind of traffic
this list has.  Likewise there were (and still are) specific REBOL
mailing lists on YahooGroups dealing with dialects, newbie questions,
parsing and so on, but they have next to no posts.  As someone said,
AltMe Worlds seems the main alternative to this list.

I also think there may not be enough REBOL users for too many
alternative ways of getting info about it - it could lead to too much
fragmentation and no quick responses to your questions.

Still, nothing to stop you starting a REBOL forum somewhere of course.
:)

--
Carl Read