Yes, Sioux, I think I know exactly how you feel.  When I first
moved to Australia, I was appalled at all the "Golliwogs" in the
charming little craft shops.  In the States, African American people
have been trying for decades to show how utterly unacceptable
such stereotyped representations (BIG eyes, BIG lips.  How
clever.) are.  Here in Australia, no one, as far as I know, gives them
a second thought.  People think that as long as they don't intend
any harm, no offense should be taken.  It's very difficult to convince
people that they need to expand their sensitivities.  I guess you're
doing the right thing to keep bringing it up, just to put the issue on
the agenda.  People won't change, though, unless it's coming from
a lot of other sources, too.  Get some of your friends with
Australian accents <grin> to join in the cause!  (After all, the candy
called "Fags" was renamed "Fads"!)

Sandy

> Just a thought.  I have recently been abused in a store when asking fro the
> removal of an item which I find grossly offensive from the counter top.
>
> In fact< I have had various reactions when I have come across this before
> and spoken to the store owner or counter person.
>
> The offensive item are candies called 'Redskins'. A kind of red chewy
> thing!  As a Lakhota person I find these items extremely offensive, and
> whenever I come across them I always like to approach the store owner or
> sales person, and explain just how I feel.
>
> Now, I guess many of you are going to think I am being silly over this, but
> I find this a very bad example to set to children whom I presume would be
> tha main consumers of this candy.  What kind of a message is it sending to
> these childrem?  There is even a picture I think of an 'indian' on the
> wrapper!
>
> Each time I approach about this problem, I speak calmly and quietly, and
> attempt to explain why I am offended and ask if they would please remove
> the item form display and preferably from stock.
>
> I say to people, ok, how about if this thing was some kind of licorice
> candy?  Would they have it on their counter if it was called Blackskins or
> Niggers?  Of course, they usually protest that of course they wouldn't
> thing of doing such a thing...............and of course they shouldn't either!
>
> My next reply then, is what is the difference between calling this red
> chewy candy a 'Redskin' and a piece of licorice a Blackskin or a nigger?

Sandy Sanders
Wormhole Books
27A Main Street
Upwey   VIC  3158
ph/fax  61 (03) 9754 5440

        WORMHOLE BOOKS  science/fiction and beyond . . . .