I am forwarding Graham Young's message which bounced because it was too
long. Please, everyone remember to remove the older parts of messages
that are not needed for clarity.

Trudy
******************************
Karen,

I am sorry that you feel that I was attacking you.  That wasn't my =
intention at all.   I am trying to understand what you think, and the =
only way to do that is to start with the most basic concepts and then =
work upwards.  There has got to be some point where we can all agree on
=
something.  Once we have reached a point like that it then allows us to
=
move back up the trail and find where we disagree.  At the moment we are
=
disagreeing at a point so far down the track that we have moved too far
=
away from each other to be able to communicate.

Trudy put an example to you which was a model for Aboriginal =
dispossession and injury.  You seemed to accept that there was a moral =

wrong involved.   I sought to clarify if that is what you thought.  So =

it wasn't something that I brought up at all.  It was something that had
=
come up in your conversation with Trudy.

Why do I think that you are copping out?  Because this is a basic =
question, and I don't see how anyone can carry out a discussion on =
reconciliation without having formed an opinion on it. I certainly =
think, reading your posts, that you have formed an opinion.  If you =
truly haven't formed an opinion on it, then you need to.  I don't spend
=
my time researching Aboriginal issues on the net, or anywhere else for =

that matter.  The research to make a decision on whether the settlement
=
was right or wrong is easy to come by.   Most of what I know comes from
=
the major newspapers.

The reason that I brought up Terra Nullius was because it is about the =

only defence against Aboriginal dispossession being wrong.   What the =
doctrine said was that this land was not owned by anyone before the =
European settlers appeared.  The Aborigines and Islanders were here, but
=
they were thought not to have any right or title in the land.  That =
entitled the Europeans to settle where they liked and set up their own =

system of title.  This was the law of the land until the Mabo decision,
=
which involved not Aborigines but the Merriam people (Micronesians I =
think).  They had a system of individual ownership of land unlike that =

of the Aborigines and the High Court found that this gave rise to =
continuing property rights under our system.  In this judgement they =
made non-binding suggestions that there might be property rights on the
=
mainland.  The rest is history as succeeding cases have confirmed that =

those rights do exist on the Mainland, and have decided what they might
=
be, and their nature. =20

So, maybe you disagree with the High Court and believe that the land was
=
originally owned by no-one.  If so, perhaps we should start at that =
point. =20

Graham Young

  ----- Original Message -----=20