Struggled with this for a while as well...  using the draft state and
publishing it to a different publishing target seemed to create another
set of problems.

In the end, I created a development publication package, and then
created a Development Area node in the site tree where editors can
create new content.  All content in this node uses the development
publication package, and publishes to an internal site where new content
can be reviewed.

When they're ready to go live with a page - or set of pages, I
disconnect them from the development area, and then reconnect them to
the appropriate section within our live site tree.

If there's a set of pages (a page with a number of child pages), I do
have to remember to update the publication package - when disconnecting,
the development area publication package remains assigned to the child
pages list.

Cheers,

Ray