Kevin Waterson wrote:

> Matt Gumbley and others wrote:
>
> > Kevin,
> >         I've been following your thread on redhat-devel re: updboots, lack of
> > documentation - could you point me to the howto you said you were
> > writing?
>
> I have begun documentation on the HOW-TO for the customization of the RedHat
> distribution.
> Like all other projects, time is at a premium.

Same here - it's all spare time work for me. You've made an impressive
start!

Question: Does Lorax differ vastly from the RH 6.0 Way?

At the moment, I'm trying to write a CD with boot/supp/rescue images
that have matching kernel/module versions - I get version
incompatibilities when trying to use the ones recently announced in
errata/updates. RH6.0 has never correctly detected my parallel port Zip
drive, so I wanted to at least fix that.

I'll also be able to contribute to notes on the installer process on
Sparc, as after I've done an updated i386 distribution, I've got one to
do for Sparc32.

Some changes for you:

Section "The scripts", under "what they do":

(Bear in mind I'm completely re-doing my boot images; this is all done
without recourse to any documentation, so I could be completely wrong!)

The upd* scripts update a set of directories that will be used to
populate disk images. The mk* scripts use these directories to build the
disk images.

The directories are created when you build the installer program.

Start in misc/src/trees, and delete the existing stuff:
rm -rf local network initrd supp rescue rescue.bak *.img *.img.nogz

Build the install program:
cd misc/src/install
make
make installit
This will build install etc.

You will need the following packages (I didn't install them originally,
and make, updrescue, and updkmaps complained)
open, pine, dump, slang-devel, newt-devel, console-tools (probably had
that one installed)

make installit will build new versions of the above trees that you
deleted, and copy the install program etc. there.

cd into ../init, and make there. There is no installit for this - one of
the scripts (updboots?) will copy init over to the relevant directory,
as well as keymaps/keymaps.gz, created by updkmaps.

There is probably a definite order in which the upd* scripts should be
run, before the mk* scripts are run.

So far, I have determined that you must run these in the following
order:
1) updkmaps
2) updboots
3) updsupp/updpcmcia in either order
4) updboots

NOTE: genfonts seems to be broken - or there's something I'm doing
wrong, or have installed incorrectly. I'm still using the fonts.cgz from
the master RH 6.0 CD.

Now - what order should the mk* scripts be run?

Some questions:
If I want to build an RH distribution containing some new version of the
kernel throughout (say, the imaginary 2.2.100 when it comes out!) - how
do I take Linus' released kernel .tar.gz, and turn it into a set of RPMs
that I could place on a CD, and use during the above updboots process?

I'm basing my "distribution" (!) on 2.2.5-15, the last kernel on
updates.redhat.com for 6.0. Say I'd like to go to the latest and
greatest - I believe I need to upgrade the NFS user space tools. If I
decide to do that, is there an RPM of these? If I decide to stick with
the latest ones for 6.0 on updates, or in the stock distribution, which
is the latest kernel I can use that will work successfully with them?

Is there a later version of the installer source, (not Lorax, which I
haven't investigated yet) ?

Keep up the good work,
        Matt
--
Matt J. Gumbley,  Software Engineer | Enigma Data Systems Ltd.
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    | Chelsea House, 8-14 The Broadway,