> >Well there are several small editors for people allergic to VI, three
> >or four mail readers, same thing with mailers.  I am a man of simple
> >tastes: I want the best in everrything and I have no place for second
> >runners.  Only reason to accept a program who is not the best is when
> >it has a such followship that it would disturb too many people.
>
> The single overridding flaw in this logic is that there is no way
> in any universe that you're going to get anyone to agree on *the best*
> anything. If so there would only be one operating system, and there would
> only be one distro of it. You've noticed I'm sure that isn't the case.
> Ditto with email, editor, newreader, etc... all this type of thing will
> do is reopen the religious wars - and I for one don't even want to think
> about that possibility. -=Chris

Caldera did just that: drop from the main distrib those utilities they
thought were playing in second division.  Read also that I told that
if an utility had many users it should not be dropped.  You could
reverse my proposition and formulate it like this "only include a
program used by few people if it is really outstanding".  Normally
great utilities with few users are those who are relatively new and
they could need some promotion for them getting the user base they
deserve.  One example is Python where RedHat was probably the first
distrib not only including it but basing config tools on it and thus
attracting attention towards it.

You also have to consider that too many redundant utilities tend to
confuse the user specially new users.  Look at the <censored> :-)
distribution and its above half a dozen web servers.

--
                        Jean Francois Martinez

http://www.independence.seul.org