JF Martinez wrote:

> Linux would have not been possible without the Gnu utilities and the
> compiler used to built has ever been gcc.  What would have been of
> Linux if Gcc didn't exist?  What of its performance if Gcc had been
> mediocre?  The only other 32 bits compiler I am aware of who was
> freely available at the time Linux was written was bcc and the code it
> generated was about two times slower than gcc's.
>
> I think RMS deserves a lot of our patience but I still think that
> because Linux was not sponsored in any way by FSF its right name is
> Linux.

Linux would have been possible without the GNU utilities, and we could
have used lcc instead of gcc.  However, the GNU utilities and gcc were
*better*.  The crux of the matter, though, is that the FSF really didn't
want to have anything to do with Linux (even to the point of trying to
make it look bad) until it because really popular.

        -hpa

--
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> at work, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> in private!