Certainly Richard Stallman and the rest of the contributors of the GNU
Project deserve credit for their enormous work, but I imagine at this
point it's probably a little too late in the game for a change of this
magnitude. Regardless, most of us who've been in this business any time
have been well aware that GNU formed a major portion of Linux and have
had great appreciation for that fact and those who made it happen.

Though clearly I've seen division of the two groups in name, in nature I
have not. It's sad now that anyone would make an effort to add further
dividing lines and it unfortunately reflects poorly on the whole open
source community, but in particular, on GNU. It even seems, well, a
little petty.

The supposed aspirations of both groups, was to the greater good of the
computing community. This apparent drive toward demanding credit brings
that aspiration into question and certainly demeans any air of
selflessness. Of course everyone who made this happen deserves and needs
credit, but I think it's a foolish to assume that any of us out here
didn't realize how great Richard's group's contribution really was.

Still, I frankly wouldn't mind a name change if it were really feasible.
I also think the Linux industry making an effort to credit the GNU
Project would be well spent as well as perhaps even companies such as
RedHad etc. turning back some of their profits to fund GNU. It not only
seems fair, but it could only benefit them.

However I do object to a "demand" as opposed to a request since it
really is a good way to drive wedges. After all we're all working for
the same thing, we should work together and drop petty squabbles.

Matt Fahrner
Manager of Networking
Burlington Coat Factory Warehouse

PS: As a final note the "web" is never
begin:vcard
n:Fahrner;Matt
tel;pager:(603) 639-4142
tel;fax:(603) 443-6190
tel;work:(603) 448-4100 xt 5150
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.gizzy.com/matt
org:Burlington Coat Factory Warehouse;MIS Networking
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Manager of Networking
adr;quoted-printable:;;2 South Park St.=0D=0AWillis House;Lebanon;NH;03766;USA
x-mozilla-cpt:;-3648
fn:Matt Fahrner
end:vcard