> Svante Signell ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) said:
> > Since nobody from redhat answered and since the rawhide release
> > 19991220 did not make any changes to glibc or remove egcs I'll try
> > again: Is gcc or egcs going to be the default compiler in future
> > releases?
>
> Switching back to gcc from egcs causes problems, notably among
> them the fact that it breaks C++ binary compatibility, again.
>
> While I'm not the one to make such decisions, I'd say that we'll
> switch to gcc when it becomes feasible to do so. In any case,
> we'll work on removing the compiler dependencies out of the
> distribution.

I benchmarked code generated by gcc and it is 10% faster on integer
and 25% on floating operations than egcs and this whatever target (ie
-m486, -mpentium, -mpentiumpro) you could choose.  In addition
I suspect you can choose a higher -O number (ie -O3 versus -O2) with
gcc-2.95 without generating wrong code.  The performance gap will only
increase with time as egcs development is now stopped.

In addition I have compiled C++ packages using its libstdc++ library
and linked against auxiliary libraries (eg qt) who were vanilla redhat
(built with egcs against the old library) and it seems to work.

I certainly would like to see gcc-2.95 or higher in next redhat.  This
would also destroy one of Mandrake's assets over RedHat.

By the way does anyone know if it safe to use -mpentium and
-mpentiumpro with gcc-2.95?  And is it safe to use in compiling the
kernel,

--
                        Jean Francois Martinez

http://www.independence.seul.org