John,

Thank you for your reply. Are you speaking on behalf RedHat? Or are
you employed by them? If so, please let me know!

Regarding the question whether egcs or gcc is going to be the default
compiler is important, regardless of building for i386 or i686. The
glibc spec file (2.1.2-17) had egcs hardcoded in, causing the library
to fail install, see earlier postings!! It installed OK with
gcc-2.95.2!. Furthermore, installing gcc completely erases egcs, so you
have to choose!!

svante.signell@telia-com