> nothing BUT a push of the big red button will get things working
> again.

Oops 0050:blah

> Before I go off recompiling and upgrading kernels, I'd like to know if
> anyone else has experienced this, and if they know of a working
> solution.  (Eg, will the current rawhide kernel work?)

if its 0050:xxxxxxxxxx then congratulations not only have you bought crap
ATX cases (good ones have bios options to 'restore previous power state on
power restoration'). You've got a broken APM bios 8). If it starts 0010:
then get some linux traces as it could be either.

If thats the case you can either use the bios16 hacks someone has, try and
get a bios update or swap the machines out for working ones