We are rapidly rolling out a wide area network (inter/intra net) with
over 44 remote linux server boxes (very remote - many hours drive
away) connected via ISDN and frame relay via cisco routers to our
central hub and server farm.

We have UPSs on these linux servers, with powerchute running as a
daemon.  It works fine.  Well, almost - when power does go out, the
system goes down as it is told, but left in an unusable state.

ATX motherboards, yeech!  (I never did like the concept, but that's
what we have so that's what I have to live with).  They don't power up
when the power is restored unless the power button is pressed - a big
problem if the button on the box box is hundreds of km away :)  We are
looking into getting something like "wake on lan" to manage this
particular problem (although WoL is not the solution in our particular
case).

What doesn't work is the halt command, which is issued either on the
command line or from the pchute daemon - the standard RH6.1 kernel
OOPS'es badly (and very impressively!) when it actually halts and
attempts to power doen, locking up the system in an unusable state
instead of actually shutting off the power.  And in this situation
nothing BUT a push of the big red button will get things working
again.

So from our esperiences, "power off on halt" appears to be badly
broken in these kernels.

Before I go off recompiling and upgrading kernels, I'd like to know if
anyone else has experienced this, and if they know of a working
solution.  (Eg, will the current rawhide kernel work?)

Many thanks for any replies.  (BTW, nothing in bugzilla about this
that I could find).

Cheers
Tony