> It is a bit strange for the first time.
> But is it a bit more complicated the next time... :)
>
> The question actually is about some packages.
> Just to remember, one of them is apache (that installs
> into /home/httpd).  Another _was_ samba that used /home/samba
> for some strange purpose (samba doesn't need this, while
> apache does).  I use nfs-mounted /home via automount for
> some machines, so that actual user's directories are shared,
> and user should not even notice it's phisical location.
> But if I install, e.g., apache, I will need to setup
> it's home directory on _different_ machine, so that apache
> will use files from nfs!?  Yes, I know about symlinks, but
> this is not the case here.  Or I should nfs-mount some other
> directory (not /home) and made symlinks like /home/$i => /mountpoint/$i
> for _ALL_ my users!?
> And, if /home/httpd does not exists on master machine, installing
> of apache will simply fail on non-master one...

If you install in single-user mode, your problem is that when you're in
runlevel 3 or 5, you will have the wrong /home/httpd

If you upgrade, you will stuff /home/httpd on another machine.

I agree that /home is the wrong place for apache and maybe samba.

When I installed queue, I decided /home/queue was precisely the right
place for the whole shebang. I decided I want to share binaries and all
other files.

> Maybe we should change all packages that touches /home/something to
> move things to, say, /var or /usr (should be considered for each
> package)?  For apache this should be /var/httpd, I think...

/usr should be able to be mounted ro, so /usr/httpd is wrong too.

/var/httpd seems fine to me.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield