Apologies for asking this here, I have searched the net for
answers and asked in other places, but with no joy.

It is possible to get cards such as the banshee, voodoo3, tnt,
tnt2 and all the other fancy new video cards to run quake1 and
quake2 in full 3D modes?  (Quake3 works just fantastic, so do
other games such as unreal tournament).

Now that svgalib recognises the banshee/v3 cards, I can at least
now get it working in software-rendered mode.  But it seems that
the gl binary needs Mesa 2.x and it won't even look at hardware
rendering on these newer cards :-(

Does anyone have any solutions?

Cheers
Tony