On Wed, Jun 07, 2000 at 08:25:49PM -0700, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 07 2000, Ryan King may have said:
>
> > Sorry if this is OT or a FAQ, but why does neither RH6.1 or RH6.2 include
> > /sbin/ in root's path?
> >
> > I've been brainstorming to try to conceive of a case where this is
> > advantageous, but have come up empty-handed and confused.  Any insight
> > will help ease my distressed soul.
>
> Umm...  are you sure didn't just do a 'su' instead of a 'su -'?  Just
> running su by itself will inherit the environment already present intead
> of getting a login shell for root.  Logging in as root at a console
> (something you should never do, but nevertheless :) gives me /usr/sbin
> and /sbin both in my path as expected

Ok, I see that that is the behavior.  Then this means that this was not
intentionally done, right?

As much as I can't understand when one would want to have a /sbin/-less
path as root, I can't understand why you would only want it to be there
when you log in as root, and not when you su. (Because, of course,
this encourages the iffy practice of logging
in as root).

So why isn't it in /etc/login.defs?  ENV_SUPATH should certainly contain
/sbin/, no?

I'm just trying to understand if this is a bug or a conscious
decision... but I can't understand how it could be a bug (and have
remained unfixed for so long), or how it could be a conscious decision
(because that makes no sense).

Thanks,
 - Ryan King