John Summerfield wrote:

> > John Summerfield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> > > Just what's in a src.rpm that's so useful that is NOT in the spec file?
> >
> > Patches?
>
> You don't need them to see how it was built;-) Well, not unless it was
> configured by patching, and I HAVE seen that done.

I think something describing the patches is also needed.
Just the contents of the SRPM don't help much.

Look at the kernel spec and all the patches there.
What are they for? Where is it documented?

A Red Hat specific README would be a real help.
I should tell what the original source release
was, what config options were used, what patches
were applied, and why they were applied.

Almost all of the Red Hat package have patches
but the user doesn't have a clue what they are.

Many packages have non-default configurations
that affect the operation of the apps. The
documentation for the app is then wrong because
of patches/config options.

I've had many times where following the docs
doesn't work, then I grab the tar ball for the
app, build/install it, and suddenly the docs
are correct. Red Hat changed something but
didn't tell the users.

        -Thomas