Those were my thoughts after discovering a grievous bug in the
printing system of Pinstripe: printing does not work from home
directory.  Problem is that home directory's permissions 700 don't
allow the setuid lpr to access file under it unless you are root.
Even in a beta release I think a bug of this magnitude is not
acceptable and reminds me of RedHat 4.1 who shipped with a ghostscript
unable to find its fonts thus making printing impossible.  The support
guy answered me "we didn't notice the bug beacuse we don't use
printers".  Thus the problem of lack of attention paid towrds printing
is not new.

RedHat says it does not see a future for Linux in the desktop and
apparently it makes all its possible for making right its prediction
using such means like buggy printing systems or the fact that at the
end of install the guy who wants to serve web pages gets a ready to
use machine while the guy who wants to use Staroffice ends the install
with an unconfigured printer subsystem.

--
                        Jean Francois Martinez

http://www.independence.seul.org