> Matt Nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > "a hack" is not how system documentation should be accessed.  this is
> > ugly, and it is genuinely difficult to figure out how to do it.  it would
> > be basically impossible for a new user (the ones who need documentation
> > the most).
>
> Aw, too bad.  Complain to somebody who cares, or fix it yourself.  I
> was _trying_ to help you, but you don't want help, you want to whine.

Alan
I think you missed Matt's point. While you've helped him, the fact remains...

Linux documentation is a shambles.

info, the command, we agree has its problems; the first of which is actually
finding the wretched thing.

As Matt noted, new users won't find how to read it in emacs; emacs alone is
enough to give them a severe fright.

btw, the obvious translation of the hack to xemacs does not work here, I get a
message, "Symbol's function definition is void: info-standalone."

Note; I exclude gnome and kde from the shambles; much of it is quite good, and
once you find the program the documentation's near at hand.