John Summerfield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> There's nothing that says
>       gcc  [-g] [-O2] [-o name] [-c] filename.c
> will cover 90% of you needs, and you might want to look at -W , -l and -D
> with links, of course.

That's true.  I'll bet that it's assumed that you are used to other
Unix compilers, which all follow the same format.

This assumption is incorrect, as there are new people learning to
program every day, but man pages for other compilers all seem to have
the same problem.

Maybe you could report a documentation bug at
http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html and suggest specific ways to improve it
for new users?  I know that there's an open FSF project to write a C
introduction, but there's a lot that could be done simply for
introduction to gcc without requiring a book about C.

--
Alan Shutko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> - In a variety of flavors!
79 days, 22 hours, 33 minutes, 49 seconds till we run away.