> On Sat, 26 Aug 2000, John Summerfield wrote:
>
> >> 3. How do you enable multiple kernels to be installed and
> >> simultaneuosly recompile packages with different kernels booted??
> >
> >Put them in different places, play with symlinks. That's what symlinks are
> >for, Sort of;-)
>
> That is correct, and likely will work fine, however my
> understanding is that you should compile all software using the
> headers from the kernel that was used to compile your C
> libraries.  In this case, it would be the kernel headers that
> came with Red Hat Linux.

Someone said that the other day.

I have a RHL 5.0 box running glibc 2.1 from RHL 6.2. I sure didn't rebuild
everything else, and I've not noticed any problems (at least, AFTER I did the
upgrade).

I don't recall any problems I've had that might result from having the wrong
kernel source in place. I'll keep it in mind though.

> This seems undocumented for the most part, but there was a
> discussion on lkml not long ago where this came up, and Linus
> said basically the above.  He also said something else surprising
> - at least to me, that you do not need to build the kernel in
> /usr/src/linux.  You can, and should, build the kernel somewhere
> else, such as ~/linux instead, and do so as non-root.

I did read that and I did try building it someplace else. It worked so well, I
went back to /usr/src/linux->/usr/src/linux.version

I've chowned it to me and do not build as root (regulars will have noticed I'm
reluctant to build anything as root; recent news wrt pinstrip is Good).

> I tried to untar the kernel into /home/mharris/linux and build
> it, but it did not work.  I'm sure that it WILL work, because
> Linus says it is the official way of doing it despite what all
> the incorrect documentation out there says (outdated by 3 years
> or more), but I can't get a kernel to build as non root in some
> other place.  Also, he says that the symlinks /usr/include/asm
> and /usr/include/linux should not exist at all.  If I don't put
> them in place though, nothing compiles at all.

They certainly WERE required, back in the days of libc and maybe glibc 2.0. I
note they still exist in my new RHL 6.2.

There is supposedly a conversion utility that takes kernel headers and
translates them to (compatible to everything) glibc headers.