On Mon, Aug 28, 2000 at 01:51:17PM -0500, Nitebirdz wrote:
> Excuse me for the stupid question, but why wouldn't you build a package as
> root?  Security reasons?  Even if you trust the sources?  Just trying to
> learn something from you, guys.   :-)

It's good practice because, among other things, it forces you to use a
buildroot for the package, which guarantees that your build machine is
not modified during the building process, so that the package should
build repeatably and always come out correctly (i.e., a broken package
that provides a -devel component doesn't hose up your system when the
package doesn't build correctly).

You get to see if you've specified all of the file ownerships (via
%attr or %defattr) correctly when you run "rpm -qplv" aginst the binary
packages.  (If any of the files belong to you, you forgot something.)

You also get some insurance against poorly-written .spec files which get
a little crazy removing files (though if you're that careful, you might
want a separate user for just building packages).

Nalin