[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > >These bugs are around the gcc-2.95.2 and the kernel behind the 2.2.16, or they
> > >are about even the 2.2.16 kernel?
> > >What I mean is that many distribution give the gcc-2.95.2, and I have an e-mail
> > >from this mailing list that says in the RedHat Linux 7.0 there will be the
> > >gcc-2.95.2.
> >
> > Red Hat 7 comes with kgcc which is an older gcc for the purpose
> > of kernel compilation.  Don't use the gcc.
> >

> RedHat 7 _beta_ comes with a _beta_ gcc nicknamed gcc two point ninety
> _six_ by RedHat.  What we are discussing is gcc two point ninety _five
> point two_ who is the official version of the gcc group.
>
> --
>                         Jean Francois Martinez

Now I'm in trouble. Confused very confused.
Tell me, so, why Debian, Mandrake, and others give away the gcc-2.95.2, and why
RedHat should give gcc-2.96, what are the differences. I read about that on a variety
of news, they all say it works, and, yes I know it works doesn't mean it is safe,
but, if debian gives it distribution away with 2.95, it is reasonable that the whole
distro (included the kernel) it is build with the gcc-2.95.2.
The fact is that, now, I have the gcc-2.95.2 installed, recompiled by myself, I can
use the old one, it is not difficult to replace, but then?

Two way are there, Debian and others that say _use_the_newest_, RedHat, and I think
Slackware too, that still uses the oldest, but now, oldest is not mean more stable,
you are talking about the gcc, it is tested everyday, by everybody near the unix
world, not only linux.

I haven't problem, I upgraded the Slack with 2.2.14 kernel, 2.2.15, using it for a
while, then passed to Mandrake 7.0, upgraded it with 2.2.15, RedHat Linux 6.2,
upgraded with the 2.2.216, and now 2.2.17, yesterday I builded the whole glibc, and
now I'm waiting for the RedHat Linux 7.0 to came.

Shurely, I think it works, but if it is safest to build it with some other compilers
let me know, we can always have the two togheter in the same system!

Thanks
--------
Mario Torre

P.S. I'm not fools, I know there is people who still have the 2.0 kernels working,
but I'm a student, so I make changes to learn how it works! So there if it is a new
realease it is mine!

Bye!