> Jeepers creepers...  ;o)
>
> This is one of the biggest FAQ's I think in all of Linux
> land...  People argue about how they use compiler XXX.YYY and it
> works for them, so it should work for everyone, when Linus, and

;-)
You do like going off half-cocked, don't you Mike?

I said it works for me. I did NOT say it will work for you.

Here's what accompanies the Kernel source; it's from test7:
GCC
---

You will need at least gcc 2.7.2 to compile the kernel.  You currently
have several options for gcc-derived compilers:  gcc 2.7.2.3, various
versions of egcs, the new gcc 2.95 and upcoming gcc 3.0, and experimental
compilers like pgcc.  For absolute stability, it is still recommended
that gcc 2.7.2.3 be used to compile your kernel.  egcs 1.1.2 should also
work.  gcc 2.95 is known to have problems, and using pgcc for your kernel
is just asking for trouble.

In addition, please pay attention to compiler optimization.  Anything
greater than -O2 may not be wise.  Similarly, if you choose to use gcc-2.95
or derivatives, be sure not to use -fstrict-aliasing (which, depending on
your version of gcc 2.95, may necessitate using -fno-strict-aliasing).

So yes, 2.95 might have problems, but the documented does NOT say "don't use
it" and it implies that the problem is overcome by using "-fno-strict-aliasing"

> Alan Cox, and others explicitly state that gcc2.95 and other
> compilers are buggy and/or the kernel has bugs that make kernel
> builds with these compilers break.

If you have better information than comes with the kernel, say it here. Do not
tell us to go bug Alan or others; they have enough to do getting 2.4 out.

> 1) If your kernel builds, it does not mean it will boot.
> 2) If it boots, it does not mean it will run.
> 3) If it runs, it does not mean it wont crash.
> 4) If it does not crash, it does not mean silent data corruption
>    isn't occuring, or that it wont crash eventually.

None of those mean there's anything wrong with the compile.

It happens I have discovered a problem here. I have a fairly large (30 Gb
drive) EIDE and I'm getting errors towards the high end.

I've taken it up with the appropriate (he must be appropriate - he's talking
to me about it) person and he's not told me to build the kernel with an older
computer (I actuall CAN do so easily); he thinks the kernel's broken.

Just to worry you all;-) I get much the same problem on 2.2.

I do recall reading about some problem with newer compilers, and as I recall,
it occurs with some aged/obscure network devices|drivers.