>> I understand that "officially" it did not enter the
>> kernel but there are patches by "Mandrake" and "SuSE"
>
>It isn't even in the 2.4 kernel - of course, patches can be made. But
>the kernel group have to feel that we can stand behind it for it to go
>into our distribution.

Okay, just out of wondering then, why is it that redhat
never uses a stock ft.**.kernel.org kernel for use with
there systems when tehy have a new version.  (It's meant as
an honest question.)  The kernel I get when I install redhat
has lots of patches that have been applied to it.  I am
always having to go out and grab a stock kernel to get
something solid to apply patches against.
        As for the 2.4 kernel, I believe they were waiting for the
new base filesystem code to be integrated in before they
added reiser fs into the kernel, at least that was the gist
I was getting about a week and a half ago on lkml.

Matthew M. Copeland