"Mike A. Harris" wrote:
> I have recently heard that ext3 is very useable now, despite not
> getting a lot of media attention, and so I'm going to try it out
> soon and possibly switch from reiserfs to ext3.  If I do, I'll
> definitely announce my results for comparison..

I think I'd rather see SGI's XFS in the kernel. But ext3
has advantages, as you mentioned, especially the backwards
compatibility with ext2. But that's a rwason I don't like
it. Look at what M$ has done with FAT (from FAT12 to the
current FAT32 w/ vfat extentions),  I think we need a new
filesystem, not a new revision of the old one. The ability
to drop the baggage of backwards compatibility is one of
the nice things in linux and other open OSes.

That said, I'm waiting for Red Hat 7.0 and the 2.4 kernel,
Then I'm moving to XFS for most of my file systems.
IBM also looks promissing, but they're a year behind SGI.

        -Thomas