> ach

> d m
> >> e.
> >>
> >> Nobody would have to if they read the manpage.  ;o)

> .
> >>

> >Mike
> >Help me. I've read the man page. Just what do you think I missed?
>
> Ok, if you want e2fsck to run without asking you questions, you
> can use the following options:
>
> (man e2fsck)
>
> E2FSCK(8)                                               E2FSCK(8)
>

> NAME
>        e2fsck - check a Linux second extended file system
>
> SYNOPSIS
>        e2fsck  [  -pacnyrdfvstFSV ] [ -b superblock ] [ -B block-
>        size ] [ -l|-L bad_blocks_file ] [ -C fd ] device
>
> DESCRIPTION
>        e2fsck is used to check a Linux second extended file sys<AD>
>        tem.
>
> [SNIP]
>
>        -f     Force checking even if the file system seems clean.
> [SNIP]
>        -p     Automatically  repair  ("preen")  the  file  system
>               without any questions.
> [SNIP]
>        -y     Assume  an answer of `yes' to all questions; allows
>               e2fsck to be used non-interactively.
>

> So something like:  e2fsck -p -y /dev/hda1
>
> That automatically answers yes to all questions and repairs
> without questions.  This doesn't mean that the filesystem will be
> in a state that is useful when it is done though.  fsck asks you

Ah.

And what do you do when it says, "%s: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck
MANUALLY.
(i.e., without -a or -p options)," as happened to me?

I've seen this two or three times.

Oh, and what do you do when the files in lost+found cannot be deleted (I
forget whether it was "invalid operation" or "permission denied" - I was root
at the time.

It was when I saw the file dates in there that I figured I could not trust
anything on that partition.