On Friday, October 13 2000, dann frazier said:

>   stop me if i misunderstand - but you're trying to use the 6.2
> genhdlist on rpms from 7.0?  7.0 rpms were built with rpm-4.x, while 6.2
> uses a 3.x version.  i got the same problem when i tried to build a
> modified 6.2 distro with some 7.0 rpms.  somewhere, genhdlist uses rpm
> calls to scan each rpm, but these calls are only compliant with rpm <=
> 3.x.  i haven't dug any deeper to see if genhdlist calls an external rpm
> binary, or if the calls are all internal - i'd be interested to find
> this out.

The hdlist is basically just a dump of all of the RPM headers from all
of the RPMS in the RedHat/RPMS/ directory of the base.  These are
accessed using API calls from librpm.  Thus, if your RPM version isn't
new enough, you don't have a new enough version of librpm to properly
read all of the header information.

If you want more specific information on the deep dark magic of librpm,
the proper place is probably rpm-list.  Some docs are in
%{_docdir}rpm-*/ and also some at http://people.redhat.com/jbj/rpmapi/

Cheers,

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Katz
[EMAIL PROTECTED]    | [EMAIL PROTECTED]

QOTD:
Anything cut to length will be too short.

PGP signature